The Coastal Bend Classic Committee is pleased to announce the 2017 Coastal Bend Classic. This year’s event will include clinics and shows for steers, heifers, goats and lambs. A clinic will be provided for swine participants. This year’s speakers include Dave Guyer for beef, Dale Hummel for goats, Matt Kenedy for lambs, and Leo Canales for swine. Judge for goats will be Drew Gonzales.
Registration fee is $25 per youth before November 17, 2017. After November 17, the registration fee will be $30. Registration fees must be paid to complete registration. Payment will be accepted by credit card, check or cash. Mail payment to District 11 4-H c/o Meredith Miller, 10345 Hwy 44, Corpus Christi, TX 78406. To pay with credit card (convenience fee of $2 will be added per registration), please call 361-265-9203.
Registration and more information can be found here: https://d114-h.tamu.edu/events-and-contests/coastal-bend-classic/
If you have any questions, please call Meredith Miller at 361-265-9203.
We look forward to seeing you at the Coastal Bend Classic on December 2, 2017!!!
The District 11 4-H Food Show and Food Challenge committee is proud to release information for this year’s event!
- New Location: Victoria College Emerging Technology Complex, 7403 Lone Tree Road, Victoria TX 77904
- Event Date: January 6, 2018
- Registration Dates: November 1, 2017 – December 15, 2017 on 4-H Connect. Late registration period will be December 16- December 29, 2017 for an additional fee.
- Registration Fee: A flat management fee of $10 will be assessed per youth and $5 for each contest (Food show and Food Challenge). A late registration period will be available for an additional $25.
- Food Show forms will be uploaded at the time of entry on 4-H Connect. All forms must be in PDF format.
- Food Challenge: Counties are assigned right now, but can change based on number of entries. A more detailed schedule will be released after registration has closed.
All information can be found on the District 11 4-H website: https://d114-h.tamu.edu/events-and-contests/food-show-and-food-challenge/
District 8 4-H will be hosting a Shooting Sports Coach Certification Training for Archery, Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun in Stephenville on November 11-12, 2017.
This training is open to any potential coaches across the state.
- Registration will be conducted through 4‐H Connect.
- Look for 2017 D8 4-H Shooting Sports Coach Certification Training (Stephenville)
- Registration will be open starting October 9 and closes October 27, 2017.
- Please pay close attention to the deadline!
- Cost is $120
- Participants MUST have completed and passed the Background Check PRIOR to registering for the event, so if they have not completed this, they should do so IMMEDIATELY.
Visit the website to view more details: https://agrilife.org/d84h/events-and-activities/shooting-sports-coaches-training/
Registration for 2017 District 11 Crossroads in now open! The event will be held Thursday, November 9 through Saturday, November 11, 2017 at the Quality Inn & Suites in Huntsville, Texas. Crossroads is a career development and youth leadership program for 8th-12th grade youth that introduces them to various career and higher education opportunities. We have three great sessions planned with the Department of Agriculture at Sam Houston State University: Animal Science/Ag Business, Ag Engineering Technology/Floral Design and Ag Communications/Ag Marketing & Sales. Check out our website for more information! https://d114-h.tamu.edu/events-and-contests/crossroads/
Registration is available now through October 13 for $175.
Late Registration is available October 14 – November 3 for an additional $25 fee.
Nueces County 4-H is hosting the Cotton Country Classic Jackpot Show at the Richard M Borchard Regional Fairgrounds on Saturday, October 21st and Sunday, October 22nd. Entries are accepted the day of the show. For more information, contact Kyle McManus at the Nueces County Extension Office at 361-767-5220.
The Waller County Fair will host a Youth Livestock Judging Competition on Friday, October 6, 2017. Contest held at the fairgrounds at 22000 Fairground Rd., Hempstead, TX 77445.
Cost is $6 per contestant and registration is day-of only.
For more information: WCF Livestock Rules
The Washington County Fair Livestock and Dairy Judging Committee would like to invite you and your judging teams to the 2017 Washington County Fair Livestock and Dairy Judging Contests. The contests will be held on Saturday, September 23rd at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Brenham, TX (1305 E. Blue Bell Rd., Brenham, TX 77833). Registration will begin at 7:00am that morning and run until 8:00am, with the contests set to start at 8:15am. The cost to enter the contest is $8.00 per person. For more information: http://www.washingtoncofair.com/events/2017/livestock–dairy-judging-contest. If you have any questions, please contact the Washington County Fair Office at 979-836-4112.
Do you know young 4-H members who deserve special recognition for their volunteer service?
Encourage them to apply for a 2018 Prudential Spirit of Community Award. Students in grades 5-12 who have volunteered in the past year are eligible for honors at the local, state and national level. Top honorees earn monetary awards and all-expense-paid trips with a parent or guardian to Washington, D.C. for special recognition events.
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards – the largest youth recognition program in the U.S. based exclusively on volunteer service – is sponsored by Prudential Financial in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals. A number of 4-H members have earned state-level recognition from the program in recent years.
Here’s how your chapter can participate:
- Now through November 7, 2017, youth volunteers can apply at http://spirit.prudential.com and www.nassp.org/spirit.
- Members must complete their applications and submit certification materials to your executive officer by November 7.
- Then, your chapter can select one Local Honoree for every 1,000 members (or portion thereof) in grades 5-8, and one for every 1,000 members (or portion thereof) in grades 9-12.
- Once Local Honorees have been selected, executive officers have until November 17, 2017 to certify their applications online for state-level judging.
All state-level honorees will receive special recognition, and top youth volunteers are eligible for monetary awards and all-expense-paid trips to Washington, D.C. for several days of special recognition events.
If you have any questions or need a paper version of the application form, please call 877-525-8491.
Diamond E is partnering with District 11 4-H to raise money for affected 4-H families from Hurricane Harvey. To order your shirt, please send the order form and check/cash to Diamond E at P.O. Box 311, Snyder, TX 79550. Shirts will be delivered to the District 11 office in late October and distributed to counties for delivery. Thanks for your support and please spread the word with 4-H families!
Deadline to order is SEPTEMBER 21.
The theme for the 2018 Food Show is “Fresh from the Farm”. This theme will allow participants the opportunity to explore many aspects of fresh foods, physical activity, and the value of locally grown foods. Another aspect to consider is the simpler life of the farm and the importance of family and working together. In addition, 4-H members can discuss the growing season their dish is associated with: late spring and early summer, high summer, and early fall. As well as, discussing where the ingredients for their dish were grown, especially if purchased from a local producer or farmers market or possibly harvested from their own garden.